When should I NOT trust my thinking? I'm discovering that the easy answer to this question is "most of the time"! LOL! However, for non-practical over-thinking purposes, I'll dig a little deeper. :)
With an understanding of the
Principles and the illusion of ALL thought, I've been learning to notice the subtleties in my personal thinking, along with the unique sign posts that tell me when my thinking is on or off. This gives me a better sense of which thoughts to trust and which
When I'm feeling unconditional love, or I'm in a state of flow (doing without much thinking), I can usually trust the thoughts that occur to me. The decisions I make and actions I take, will more likely be from a place of wisdom,
than a place of fear. In fact there's very little decision-making, there's just doing.
When I'm feeling anything else, especially if it's anything accompanied by lots of thinking, or a negative or uncomfortable feeling, then the decisions
I make and actions I take, will more likely be from a place of fear, than a place of wisdom.
As a perfectly imperfect human, I don't live in the heightened state of unconditional love and flow all the time. In fact I'm not even really
sure how much time I spend on either side of the scale between love and fear, although I have strong sense that it's more the latter.
However, whatever state I'm in, whatever thoughts I have, whatever action I take in each moment, and
however things turn out, I know that I will be perfectly fine. That in turn, takes a lot of the pressure off of "getting it right", and allows me to live more in the moment, with less regard for whatever my crazy thinking is doing, and ultimately with less
fear and more love.
And in the meantime, whenever I happen to catch an awareness of my thoughts, I can pay attention to the numerous signposts that tell me my thinking is off.
- I've lost my sense of humour
about the situation
- I'm feeling irritated
- I am in any way judging someone else's behaviour (as bad, or even as good)
- I am judging my own behaviour (as bad, or even as good)
- There's a sense of urgency
- I'm feeling
a strong or compelling need
- There is a desire to avoid something
- I know that I am right and they are wrong
- I know better than someone else
- I need to prove something
- I'm tied to the outcome
- I want others
to know what I'm doing
- I want to be recognized or acknowledged for anything
- I'm feeling pride
- The situation feels unfair
- I think there's a problem
- I can't find a solution
- I don't know what to do or what
- I'm experiencing any negative feeling (regret, concern, shame, worry, anger, hate, frustration, irritation, sadness, envy, jealousy, fear, insecurity, anxiety, resentment, disappointment, loneliness, guilt, inadequacy, overwhelm, stress,
boredom, aggravation, and the list goes on...)
What are your personal sign posts that tell you when your thinking is off?